Monday, March 11, 2013

Letchworth Arts and Crafts Show

I finally bought a new camera a few weeks ago and just today took the time to put the disk in and learn how to use it. It has a lot more bells and whistles than my old camera so it may take some time to get used to it. Hopefully my picture quality will improve eventually. The Letchworth Arts and Crafts Show took place in Letchworth State Park over Columbus Day weekend. This was my sixth year participating in the show and the weather gods weren't too kind. Saturday afternoon was spent holding on to the tent so it didn't lift off, Sunday no wind, but rain all afternoon. Monday was ok. Sales were slower than last year, but attendance was down due to the hideous weather. I heard that Saturday alone was down by 10,000 shoppers, luckily the serious buyers still come out. I won Best of Show for a deflected doubleweave scarf that was woven using a draft from the Ruby Leslie workshop I took a few years ago. It was one of the hardest projects I have ever woven. Weaving two layers is hard enough but alternating four shuttles with different colors and carrying all those threads up the sides without making an ugly selvedge is quite challenging. There are two scarves from the warp, the winner, with three different patterns, and the second one has the same pattern throughout.
Tomorrow morning Sarah, Pam, and I are off to the Hudson Valley for the New York State Sheep and Wool Festival. We are driving down Friday in the hopes of avoiding the traffic jam at the bridge crossing the Hudson River. Every year we sit for an hour waiting to go the last two miles. We will cross the river and spend the night in Hudson NY, then drive to Rhinebeck early in the morning. Keeping our fingers crossed that this will work out better, and looking forward to exploring Hudson. Sarah says there is a good Mexican Restaurant there, and that always sounds good to me.



No comments:

Post a Comment